Wednesday, August 5, 2009

I'm going to be a Dental Hygienist!

I really enjoy my current job as a dental assistant. I think that a big part of that enjoyment is due to the great staff and employers, but I also enjoy working on patients and using a skill that really makes a difference for someone and their self confidence. I love working with adult patients too, because for many of them, not having straight teeth has been a great hindrance to their life long confidence, and even their overall personality, because they always think to cover their mouth when smiling or laughing. They simply feel their teeth are unattractive. Being able to see someone gain confidence and smile in freedom is very rewarding. It also pays well... but you know what pays even better!!!... being a Dental Hygienist! So, with much thought and consideration, I've applied to go back to school to do that! I'm excited about the whole thing, and already passed the first of two entrance exams. The next test is the NET test (Nurse Entrance Test) that all Hygienist must take. I bought the study guide today and was told that I need to make a competitive score to get one of only 24 seats available in the class. When it's all said and done, I should be done with school by November 2011, and ready to take the state board exams.. one of which I already have taken for x-rays, the radiology exam, which I am already licensed to do in TN. Also, recently approved by the state, dental hygienist are now able to get a license to give oral anesthesia as well. Apparently we students will practice giving oral shots to each other to get practice! AHHH! ;)That's one part of school that I would rather skip, but it will be great to have that under my belt when I apply for a job once I have my license to practice! Anyway, I am super pumped up about it, and keeping my fingers crossed for some good ole' gov't grants to help me out with tuition costs. When school is over, I will be glad I did it, glad I gave my all, and glad to have a job with a salary (roughly 3x what I currently make) that will put a bigger smile on my own face! :D

1 comment:

  1. I felt the same exact way after I took dental assistant classes. I have no regrets.

    ReplyDelete

Now lets hear from you!