Monday, October 27, 2008

An Album...


... Did anybody else besides me grow up with the old vinyl record albums? Wow, I'm only 27, but I looked it up online and discovered that those big black vinyl albums are now considered "collectible items!" This is sure to happen to CD's next... or has it already?? So anyway, there is a story here. Once upon a time, when I was growing up in the woods- yes, thick woods actually- my Mom would put on these old worship records and sit on the floor with me and we would listen and sing old hymns and songs together. I was about 5 or 6, and much of what I knew about God at that time was in picture form. I knew that God created Adam and Eve ....and they were naked!- Quite the shock to the young mind ...but somehow Eve's long hair covered all the right spots and there was always that plant in front of Adam... ;-) Then there was Noah and the Arc with two of every animal- and the animals were smiling, and there was Joshua at the wall of Jericho, and the Christmas Story- fully displayed with Mary, Joseph, baby Jesus, sheep, shepherds, wise men and stars- Oh, and the one BIG star that they followed to get to Jesus! All of these stories were fascinating to me and I found great enjoyment coloring the pictures... but then there were these old songs on old records, and somewhere in between the words and melody I experienced the presence of God. I'll never forget those moments. I didn't know why it felt so good to sing and could not explain the reason for her tears or mine- but it was a holy time. Looking back in my life I see so many ways that God has revealed Himself to me, many which were quite unexpected and creative, but there are certain moments that stand out- kind of like the star the wise men followed- and these moments ring true to my heart. My spirit acknowledged something my head could not. The presence and glory of God was so rich in that living room. Since then I have been fortunate to taste more of God's glory, but I like to go back to that memory to encourage my faith, because at that time of my life I was just a child. I had no agenda in coming to the Lord, I had no "baggage" to speak of, or reasons to think He would not want to hear me sing. I had no worries about friends or family or others at church in what they would think if I raised my hands or danced. There was just an inner knowing that God was here and this was a really good thing! I am so thankful I grew up in a home with parents who love God! I am fortunate to have this memory and I treasure it deeply... a star among stars, a grateful "collectible" for my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now lets hear from you!