Friday, October 31, 2008

How do we treat people with disabilities?




Within the past few years, my kids were both diagnosed with Autism- specifically, a cognitive learning delay, speech and language delay. Over the past 5 years I have watched my son Aidan struggle to communicate and understand, but he is learning more, slowly but surely, making progress, praise God! Ethan, my youngest (3 yrs old) still isn't speaking in words, but doesn't seem to realize that he is different from other kids yet. Aidan knows he is different. Sometimes adults who don't realize his situation come up and ask him his name or a question he can not answer... he used to start slapping himself when he would get frustrated that he could not give an answer, now he looks away or just puts his head down if he can not answer the question. BUT, there are more and more words he can say, so I try to ask him often certain questions I know that he will be able to answer. I see the joy come on his face. I've learned to compensate for the hard questions. For instance, I want him to try to use new words, so I might ask him to say something he can already say, then ask him something new, then ask him something he can already say again. (the sandwich method) I do this for his self-esteem and I'm seeing progress. He is starting to believe in himself more and it's a joy to hear him try to repeat new things- knowing that even if he doesn't say it right this time, there is another question coming. I want to share a story with you that broke my heart this morning. A young teenage boy with special needs went up to the counter at McDonald's to order his food and he was having a hard time getting the words out. You could tell he knew what he wanted to say but it was taking some time to say it. The lady at the counter became very uncomfortable and then, not knowing how to handle the boy, walked away. Someone else came to the counter and took the next person's order, asking the boy to step aside till he figured out what he wanted. The thing is, HE KNEW WHAT HE WANTED, and was saying it as the girl walked away... but that wasn't fast enough for her. She felt uncomfortable and didn't know how to help him (this is understandable) but the boy's face when she walked away was so sad! Can you imagine how you would feel if someone did that to you every day. Even if your IQ is low- you know when you're being loved or hated. You know when people are happy you're here or simply wish you weren't. People with disabilities are all around us in our society- we need to think ahead, plan ahead on how we are going to treat them... because chances are, you may feel uncomfortable and as a result, make a poor decision at their expense. I have been blessed with two kids with disabilities, and I have, on more than one occasion been uncomfortable in public, but that diminishes over time- pretty quickly actually. Eventually you realize what is most important and you see beyond the delay- you see the person you love. Any person is worth loving and showing love, no matter how severe their issues. My kids are full of personality, and spirit, and even words to say... they just haven't been spoken yet... but I will stand here patiently and wait with a smile and kind eyes that say "I love you and I'm so glad you're here!"




6 comments:

  1. Very eye-opening and vulnerable post. Thank you, as always, for your candidness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great reminder. I know I'll try to be extra careful in showing patience and love next time I'm in a situation with someone with a disability. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Liz: thanks :-)
    @ Emily: Sometimes I don't even realize that I am meeting someone with a disability until I've already engaged them in some way- especially if they have a mental disability. It's never anyone's fault that they didn't know how to approach... and even once you realize the person is disabled, you might not know what to do- this has happened to me when visiting nursing homes and hospitals for example. But, because I was there to show love in the first place, communication issues sort of worked themselves out. It's much harder being caught off guard when you are working, or in a hurry, or really hungry standing in a line at McDonalds... but the importance of showing love doesn't change- if fact if love is shown during these moments, it will probably impact the person even more, if they are used to being treated poorly. thanks for your heart and comment on the matter! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not even know that you had a blog all this time. I will definately add you to my blog roll. Great post. I will keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love hearing (err reading) what you have to say and your perspective. I LOVED meeting your boys and hope to see them soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love you too Katie! And yes... lets definitely do Moe's again on Tuesday for lunch (noon)... and lets remind each other too. Haha ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Now lets hear from you!